Mick’s award-winning paintings strive to capture the mood and atmosphere of a subject combining the magic of watercolor with reverence for composition and design to create works of sophisticated simplicity. Mick is a signature member of the Philadelphia Watercolor Society (Crest Award recipient), the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society (Sylvan Grouse Guild inductee), the Baltimore Watercolor Society, the Whiskey Painters of America, and the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association.
In all of my work I strive to simplify life’s complexity down to only the most important shapes, value patterns and edge variations. I enjoy painting outside where I can take advantage of surroundings, natural light, and the sights and sounds that influence each painter’s creative nature. Outside in nature’s studio I must capture the moment because light and its effect, reflection and cast shadow, changes continuously. I believe that with knowledge, technique and skill of the painter while leaving room for the magic that makes watercolor so distinctive.
Significant Artistic Accomplishments:
• Best in Show 2023 Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival
• 3rd Prize 2022 Plein Air Easton Competition
• 3rd Prize 41st Annual Adirondack National Exhibition of American Watercolors
• Local Treasures Award 2022 Wayne Plein Air Festival
• Exhibited 13th Annual Signature American Watermedia International Exhibition
• Exhibited 148th Annual International Exhibition American Watercolor Society
• Exhibited 2018 and 2021 National Watercolor Society Member Exhibition
• Exhibited 2021 American Impressionist Society Associate Member Exhibition
• Exhibited 17th National Exhibition of the American Society of Marine Artists
• Demonstration artist and field painter 2017 Plein Air Convention & Expo
• Published interview June/July 2015 issue Plein Air Magazine